I liked that little fic, good choice of words, set a great tone, dramatic. Your writing style is good, but the vagueness of some of it left me a bit confused as to what was going on and why. Work on the 'why' part, that's where you need work. Overall, I'd love to see some more of your work!
Thank you, Anon! It’s different having feedback for what would normally be a private little blurb hidden in a text file somewhere on my dropbox. I think I like it.
I’ll work on providing clearer resolutions to any intentionally vague elements in my writing, and I’ll work on eliminating any non-intentionally confusing bits, too. Your advice is appreciated.
A flat, unsavory tone emerged from Steven’s throat. A slow and uncertain “We.” rang dully along the Crystal Heart’s crimson walls.
Those custom Pokemon sprites are amazing! Did you start off with drawings or just dove right into spriting?
I decided to answer this with a step-by-step process of how I make these, so here I go!
First, I open a file in a program you can make lines in with no anti-aliasing, that means like the pencil tool in MS Paint. (which is what I use) I make a little square border in a color I won’t use, designating a 56x56 pixel area. The area INSIDE the border must be 56x56 pixels, not including the border.
Then, I go online and find the OFFICIAL sprites to use as a reference. I like to use this sheet here. I paste the one I want on the canvas.
Then, I ZOOM IN SUPER CLOSE. Like, 400% or something, and draw inside the box with a light color that I also won’t use in the final sprite. I just sorta sketch normally until I have a pose I like, doesn’t need to be cleaned up.
Here’s a cap of about how closely zoomed in I work. I take the black color from the sprite and start carefully making lines. Sometimes I go pixel by pixel, like the SS Ticket, or, like the arm, I draw a line in black and then clean up the jagged edges. Try to avoid corner pixels wherever possible, though with r/b/y sprites it can be a bit more lax. I suggest using a MOUSE for this next part and not a tablet, I find it easier to edit pixels by clicking.
I finish the lines! I try to go off of how the official sprite looks. Charmeleon’s sprite has a lot of black in dense/shaded areas, so I mimicked that.
Next I add base colors, not much to say here. REMEMBER: the “white” on the sprite is NOT EXACTLY WHITE. fill in the “white” parts with that slightly grey color!
Next I add shading. I try to keep a light source consistent, and shade similarly to the official sprite.
Highlights are next! I made a few adjustments here and there, too. I used some dithering (the checkerboard pattern) where it looked good, but kept it sparse since Charmeleon’s sprite doesn’t have any normally.
And then it’s done! I fixed a few parts of the shading I didn’t like (wanted the face to be brighter), decided it was ok to put in some more dither, and added touch-ups and stuff.
And for safety’s sake, before I bring it into Photoshop to save it as a transparent gif, I made double sure that the white inside of Abby was different from the white on the outside, so I used the eraser tool trick to scribble a bright color behind the whole sprite. (In Paint, if you right click with the eraser tool, your foreground color will turn into your background color, so I had pure white on foreground slot, and the blue on the background slot.)
Hope that was helpful!
- GIOVANNI: GIOVANNI, with a grim smile, extends his hand to RED.
- "Finally... now you understand. Everything boils down to a yes or no choice. All you need to survive this world is to make the right choice once, and then move on to the next one."
- RED: RED holds out his hand as well. it is comprised of hundreds of the letter "A" written in black, all lined up in still, cold rows.
- The letters begin to flicker and shift.: dull colors can be seen here and there.
- "The world is too big. Too brilliant. Too complicated to just make the right choice all the time."
- The letter "A" scrambles into rainbow colored commands of up, down, a, b, start, etc that cannot stay still.
- "You can make the right choice and survive, for sure. But to live... You have to appreciate the beauty..."
- RED's face comes into view: -- eyes obscured by his signature hat. A wry smile spreads across his cheeks.
- "...of detours, and mistakes!"
- RED: RED looks up, smiling wildly. The rim of his hat raises to reveal the wide, rainbow color flickering word that has replaced his eyes:
- The room explodes into the color of RED's choices.: rainbow flickering commands replace the entirety of the world, save for the black and grey colored GIOVANNI.
- GIOVANNI: Close up on GIOVANNI's face, as his eyes widen, and he looks up at the chaos of RED's world.
- PANNING UP FROM A VIEW OF RED: A Charizard formed from RED's choices lifts itself up into the air, gripping THE ALMIGHTY HELIX in it's lower claws.
- Back to GIOVANNI's face:
- GIOVANNI sheds a single, rainbow flashing tear.
note me up tumbledore i am the special smart man today.
Deleted a buncha reblogs and silly not art posts. Blog looks slightly more arty now than reblog-y.
I haven’t posted any drawings in awhile though, huh.